I entered the University of Akron School of Law in the Fall of 2002. While still in law school I enrolled in the University of Akron School of Business. I finished both my Juris Doctor and Master of Taxation degrees in December 2005. Subsequently I headed to Florida to take the Spring 2006 bar exam.
I successfully passed the Spring 2006 Florida Bar Exam I subsequently moved to Fort Walton Beach, Florida to work for a small law firm. It was there I began practicing the areas of law I still practice today. A few years later I was admitted to the U.S. Federal Tax Court and became a Registered Representative with the IRS.
In 2012 I was admitted to The Ohio Bar. After that my wife (Patti) and I moved to New Albany, Ohio and I joined a law firm in Dublin. It did not take long for us to realize just how much we missed Florida, especially during the cold winter months. In addition, Patti’s father began needing assistance and we wanted to ensure we were there for him when necessary.
As a result Patti and I moved back to Florida in June 2014 and began managing a satellite office in The Villages for a law firm based in Orlando. In May 2018, Patti left to take a marketing position with another company. After that I left to start Marshall Law, P.A. in October 2018.
I strive to to keep my legal practice and skills relevant in a constantly changing legal environment. Consequently I look for opportunities that allow me to grow professionally while benefiting others. For example, here are a few ways I do this:
- Am an active member of WealthCounsel, LLC. This organization provides education and technical support for estate planning and trust administration issues.
- Research and write articles on legal topics relevant to current news or issues of public interest. You can find my articles and other written materials in my blog. In addition, some of my articles have been featured in Style Magazine, Village Neighbor and Village Neighbor South.
- Write and present continuing education courses to other attorneys. Topics I have presented include Florida probate, Florida guardianship laws and estate planning techniques.
Because I believe in being active in the community, I participate in various charitable and/or non-profit organizations. The following are a few of the organizations I belonged to over the years:
- Executive Board Member for the Lady Lake Chamber of Commerce
- President of the Estate Planning Council of the Emerald Coast
- President of the Destin Kiwanis
- Board member for the Emerald Coast Children’s Advocacy Center
Additional Professional Experience
During the first 7 years of my professional life I worked in the insurance and financial services industry. Consequently I held multiple insurance licenses with Ohio and North Carolina, and was a Registered Representative with the NASD (n/k/a FINRA).